The 2010 Teaching and Learning Symposium, “Taking the Next Step,” provides an opportunity for faculty, staff, post-docs, graduate students and other educators to share best practices, celebrate accomplishments, discuss new pedagogy, and explore themes of mutual interest in a community of instructors dedicated to enriching the learning experience on campus. This year’s focus for the symposium is “taking the next step” and moving from good intention to action. I invite you to submit a proposal and share this announcement with interested colleagues across campus. The symposium will be held May 19-20, 2010 in the Pyle Center
Call For Proposals
Deadline: January 15, 2010)
This year’s Teaching and Learning Symposium will provide answers to the question: “What are next steps YOU can take to improve your teaching and the learning of your students here at the UW-Madison?”
We all have the best intentions to improve the work we do as educators, but a number of challenges can stand in our way; there never seems to be enough time or resources to experiment with new methods, students often seem resistant to approaches that break from traditional models of instruction, we worry over the amount of work involved and frequently fall into ruts and routines despite our best intentions. This year, the Teaching and Learning Symposium will focus on “taking the next step” and moving from good intentions to action.
We seek proposals from faculty, staff, post-docs and graduate students for engaging sessions that build on research, help colleagues make improvements based on past experiences, highlight current and future campus initiatives, and focus on ways we can take the next step to put good ideas into action within and outside the classroom.
Proposed presentations should be in one of the following formats:
- 60-minute conference sessions (to be held at the Pyle Center, May 19 and the morning of May 20)
- Post-conference workshops (e.g., hands-on or experiential sessions hosted at the Pyle Center or a location other than the conference site the afternoon of May 20)
Specifically, we are looking for proposals that address:
- Actions which new and experienced teachers can take to promote deeper learning
- Approaches to enhance learning through excellence and inclusivity
- Strategies that apply research and the scholarship of teaching and learning to the learning experience
- Methods to assess student learning and examples of using assessment data to improve teaching and learning
- Strategies we can use to align our classes with the essential learning outcomes and high impact practices <http://www.provost.wisc.edu/content/WI_Exp_ELOs.pdf> and <https://tle.wisc.edu/tleblogs/ambrower/high-impact-educational-practices-uw-madison>
- Steps we can take to employ technology-enhanced learning
To submit a proposal go to www.learning.wisc.edu/tlsymposium and complete the proposal form for either a conference session or post-conference workshop. More information is available at this website as well. For additional information, contact Mo Noonan Bischof, 265-4413 or firstname.lastname@example.org.