The following fringe benefit rates will become effective July 1, 2009 for the Doctoral Cluster Institutions (UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee) and UW-Extension, and will be used when charging the employer’s contribution to fringe benefits on all new and on-going extramural projects.
- Regular Faculty and Academic Staff 38.50%
- Regular Classified 50.50%
- Research Associates and Grad Interns 26.50%
- Research Assistants, Project Assistants, Teaching Assistants, Pre-Doc
- Fellows and/or Trainees 27.50%
- Post-Doc Fellows and/or Trainees 16.50%
- Limited Term Employees (LTE’s) 21.00%
- Ad Hoc Program Specialists, Undergraduate Assistants and Undergraduate
- Interns 6.00%
- Student Hourly Employees 3.50%
Increased health insurance costs continue to be the primary cause of the rate changes. In the cases of Research Assistants, LTE’s, and Post-Doc Fellows, the increases are more apparent due to DHHS’ required
methodology for the handling of previous years’ under- or over-recovery of actual costs. This method has reduced the University’s ability to smooth out the impact of increasing health insurance costs over longer
periods of time.
The specific components for each rate are detailed in a schedule that has been published at: http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/chap4/rn/rn09-1t.html .
We appreciate your assistance in assuring that all projects with an anticipated beginning date of July 1, 2009 or later utilize the above rates.
Printable Version available at http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/chap4/rn/rn09-1.html