A Heart of the Farm-Women in Agriculture conference is scheduled for Friday, Jan. 25, 2008 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The conference will be held at Jake’s Northwoods, 1132 Angelo Road in Sparta. Heart of the Farm- Women in Agriculture/ /workshop series is a University of Wisconsin-Extension program that is committed to addressing the needs of farm women by providing education on farm business topics, connecting them with agricultural resources and creating support networks.
- Production Record Keeping Options, Joy Kirkpatrick, Outreach Specialist, UW Center for Dairy Profitability./ /Are you considering computerizing your production record keeping system? What records do you want to track? This session will help you prioritize your record keeping goals and highlight some of the more common record keeping options.
- Energy Savings Approaches for the Farmstead, Jennifer Brinker, Focus on Energy. This session provides practical ideas to save on farm energy bills. Learn about more efficient lighting in your barn or upgrading your vacuum pump and the programs available to assist you with these projects.
- Ask the Vet, Dr. Lee Edmiston, Sparta Vet Clinic./ /Having trouble with your calves? Is your milking herd having feet problems? Want to know the latest in vaccinations? Find out the answers to these and your own herd health questions and issues in this breakout session.
- –Personnel/Employee Management breakout sessions:
- Amy Schanhofer, community resource development agent, UW-Extension Monroe County will present Swain Personality Styles. Understand your own personality style and how it affects your priorities and work style. Also, learn key points about others’ styles and how to motivate, work with and find the strengths of others.
- Jon Zander, agriculture agent, UW-Extension Trempealeau County, will discuss the issues around hiring immigrant labor for your farm. Being aware of and understanding the differences between rural Wisconsin culture and Hispanic and Latino cultures can help employers hire and retain a consistent, quality workforce.
Badgerland Farm Credit Services of Sparta, Monroe County Dairy Promotion, and Monroe County UW-Extension are local sponsors of this workshop. Because of their sponsorship the registration fee is only $10 per person. Registrations are due by Jan. 18, 2008. To register, send payment to Bill Halfman, Monroe County UW-Extension, 14345 Cty. Hwy B, Room 1, Sparta, WI 54656. Make checks payable to the UW-Extension. Visit the Heart of the Farm website www.uwex.edu/ces/heartofthefarm to download a brochure.
Heart of the Farm – Women in Agriculture/ is sponsored by the UW Center for Dairy Profitability and UW-Extension’s Farm and Risk Management Team.This entry was posted in Extension and Outreach by jsindelar. Bookmark the permalink.