The Matsumae International Foundation’s fellowships aim to further peace and prosperity on the basis of mutual understanding through peaceful co-existence with other nations of the world, and to deepen an understanding of Japan. Fields of study such as the natural sciences, engineering, and medicine are given first priority. Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions, or the corresponding facilities of private industry) in which to carry out their research. Acceptance must be obtained in advance of submitting applications for a fellowship. The deadline for applications is July 31, 2008.
Usually 20 people per year receive fellowships. Fellowships are for a period of three to six months. An economy class round-trip air ticket between the international airport closest to the fellow’s home and Tokyo will be provided. A stipend of 240,000 yen is provided monthly for the purpose of payment of tuition, expenses for research materials, lodging, meals, transportation, etc. Overseas travel accident insurance and sickness insurance will be provided.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following general eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents:
1. Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or be recognized by the foundation as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
2. Applicants must not be over 40 years of age at the time of application.
3. Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan.
4. Applicants should not have been in Japan previously. The application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. Under no circumstances will an application be accepted from a person already in Japan.
5. Applicants who have firm positions and professions in their home nations should apply from their countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their research activities in Japan.
6. Applicants who have previously been invited by the Matsumae International Foundation are not eligible for this fellowship program.
Foundation’s URL: http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~mif/
Grant announcement: http://fundingopps.cos.com/cgi-bin/getRec?id=1874