Replace your SSN-based ID card

If you still carry a UW ID card that has your SSN on it, please replace it as soon as possible. New cards will be issued with a photo id number that does not contain this sensitive information. There is a campus commitment to review and remove SSNs from all computing systems as appropriate. The ID system is one of those areas under review. Carrying and displaying a card with your social security number exposes you to potential identity theft.

You may replace your photo id at the Photo ID office. The Photo ID office is located in Union South, lower level, next to the Games Room, in room B109. Photo ID is open Monday – Friday from 8 am to 4:15 pm. Those who need a new or replacement ID card must present some form of personal photo identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or state ID. For more information on obtaining a UW ID card please call Photo ID at 262-3258.

Please refer to for the news article on this topic.