CALS Human Resources has developed a new employee webpage designed to welcome and orient new employees: https://hr.cals.wisc.edu/new-employee-welcome/. Please check it out, share your feedback with CALS HR, and help spread the word about it.
Additionally, CALS Human Resources improved the existing unit/department onboarding checklist to be more comprehensive and allow for customization. Other onboarding materials have also been given a facelift.
As a reminder, the goals of onboarding are:
- Accommodating: Getting the new employee the tools, resources, and training to be successful
- Acculturating: Helping the employee understand and navigate the culture of the organization
- Accelerating: Minimizing the time before new employees are productive members of their workgroup
The outcomes are:
- Job satisfaction
- Employee retention
- Engagement and commitment
- Faster time-to-productivity
If you’re interested in learning more about onboarding, take a look at UW-Madison’s Onboarding Basics.
Have questions on onboarding? Reach out to CALS’ Onboarding Coordinator Vanessa Vosen at firstname.lastname@example.org.