New teaching assistants (TAs) and program/project assistants (PAs) are invited to participate in professional development focusing on diversity, discrimination and harassment to be offered during the fall 2014 semester. These sessions are presented and sponsored by the campus Office for Equity and Diversity, The McBurney Disability Resource Center, the Theater for Cultural and Social Awareness and the Office of Human Resources.
We encourage you to attend and participate in a session. In addition, please be aware that teaching assistants cannot be reappointed for more than one semester unless they have completed this professional development workshop. For example, a TA who was reappointed in the fall 2014 semester without having completed training cannot be reappointed again in the upcoming spring 2015 semester unless training has been completed prior to the start of classes.
Participants receive information about relevant laws, policies, regulations and resources; explore the practical application of these policies to classroom and learning environments; and engage in facilitated conversations designed to promote interdisciplinary dialogue and excellence through diversity. These sessions promote the development or competencies that sustain and strengthen UW-Madison’s position of preeminence in research and higher education and advance critical campus strategic priorities.
The session schedule, electronic copies of the materials referenced during each in-person presentation, and the registration link are available at http://www.oed.wisc.edu/graduate-assistants-equity-workshops.htm. Please register online, session space is limited. The available workshops and locations are provided below.
- Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5-8 PM Union South
- Thursday, September 11, 2014 5-8 PM Union South
- Monday, September 15, 2014 5-8 PM Union South
- Thursday, September 18, 2014 5-8 PM Memorial Union
- Monday, September 22, 2014 5-8 PM Memorial Union
- Wednesday, September 24, 204 5-8 PM Memorial Union
- Thursday, October 2, 2014 5-8 PM Memorial Union
- Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9AM-Noon 8417 Social Science Building
- Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5-8 PM Memorial Union
- Friday, October 10, 2014 9AM-Noon 8417 Social Science Building