As the needs of website development increases throughout CALS, CALS IT is releasing a new WordPress theme to aid web developers throughout the college. Use of this WordPress theme is not mandatory but offers a platform for customization while providing a uniform look and feel.
The CALS version 0.9 WordPress theme takes advantage of new aesthetic trends that are being developed for the CALS homepage and many other CALS sites. Version 0.9 maintains visual continuity between the current CALS homepage and version 1.0 of the theme as its being developed, while still giving developers around the college the opportunity to get started with the theme prior to its 1.0 release. Along with the updated style, version 0.9 of the theme incorporates:
- Improved Accessibility
- Multiple configurable layout options
- jQuery, Masonry, and Isotope libraries
- Improved Typography options utilizing open source fonts
These theme enhancements are just a portion of what will be coming in the version 1.0 release which will include.
- HTML5 responsive design
- Adaptive layouts optimized for all mobile platforms (smartphone/tablet)
- New Layout Options with live customizable panels for increased content discoverability
- HTML5 Local Storage (remembering UI preferences for the user)
- Modernizr JS library
- Improved Accessibility with WARIA Implementation
While the 1.0 theme is currently under development, you can get started with 0.9 by downloading it from http://www.cals.wisc.edu/developers/ When 1.0 is released, you will be able to download and install it directly from your WordPress administration panel, making it even easier to receive updates as they become available.
If you are interested in applying the CALS theme design and user experience to your site but do not use WordPress, please contact me so that I may provide the most ideal solution for your needs.
For more information on how to use the theme or for any related questions, please contact Al Nemec (firstname.lastname@example.org).