New faculty profile: Jade Wang

Jade Wang joined the faculty in the Department of Bacteriology as an assistant professor this summer.

Briefly describe your career path—up to this point.
I arrived in Canada from China to attend McGill University as an undergraduate physics major. After graduation, I switched from physics to biology to join the graduate program in biological sciences at the University of California, San Francisco. I earned my Ph.D. with Jonathan Weissman there, using bacteria as a model organism to understand molecular chaperones important for cell survival. I conducted  postdoctoral training with Alan D. Grossman at MIT to visualize DNA replication by a whole-genome tiling microarray.

I continued studying DNA replication regulation in the Department of Molecular and Human Genetics at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, as an assistant professor, then as an associate professor. While at Baylor, I was awarded an NIH Director’s New Innovator Award, a Rosalind Franklin Young Investigator Award and a DeBakey Excellence in Research Award. I mentored multiple graduate students and undergraduate students who are continuing their career paths in biological research. I was an American Society of Microbiology Branch lecturer, and a co-director of the CMB graduate program at Baylor College of Medicine.

Recently, I moved to UW Madison’s department of bacteriology with the rest of the Wang lab.

What is the main focus of your research program?
My laboratory focuses on elucidating the principles that regulate DNA replication in B. subtilis and E. coli, using genetic, genomic, biochemical and computational approaches. The group also studies how bacteria coordinate multiple cellular processes in response to nutritional stress.

What drew you to UW-Madison?
The vibrant microbial community, stimulating educational environment, and the beautiful city of Madison.

This entry was posted in People and Departments and tagged by vanzoeren@wisc.edu. Bookmark the permalink.