In the past you have received correspondence regarding improvements to the University Travel Program. Following is some information about another component of the program, an online airfare reservation service called Travelport. The State of Wisconsin Department of Administration (DOA) contracted with Fox World Travel (FWT) for use of Travelport to book airfare for authorized business travel. This service only applies to the online booking of airfare. Departments and divisions may continue to use the travel agencies they have been using when online purchases are unsuitable.
We believe that once you try Travelport you will find it beneficial. This self-service tool has the potential for saving time and money as well as enhancing service to the traveler. Some of the features of Travelport include:
- Providing the lowest airfare to save time in searching various online booking tools and calling travel agencies
- An electronic fare auditor which searches for and rebooks lower fares as found
- Automatic tracking of unused tickets to apply to future airfare saving departmental funds and time that is lost by not having this partnership today
- Lower travel agency fees
- Ability for a travel coordinator to book on behalf of other travelers (employees and non-employees on UW business-related travel)
- Capability to cancel ticket purchases by 5 PM the next day
- 24 hour emergency telephone service provided by FWT
- Ability for the UW to accumulate corporate frequent flyer points and the traveler to earn personal frequent flyer point
UW-Madison piloted Travelport in February 2008 and based on that experience determined it is ready to be used by all UW-Madison travelers. Starting the week of April 28 familiarization sessions will be provided by FWT and the UW-Madison Accounting Services to demonstrate Travelport’s functionality. Two hour sessions are scheduled April 30, May 6, and May 12.
To register go to http://www.ohrd.wisc.edu/reg/catalog_course.aspx?groupcoursekey=20571.
All UW-Madison faculty and staff who travel or coordinate travel for their departments are encouraged to attend the sessions and bring their questions.
Please note the preferred, best practice methods of processing Travelport payments include the U.S. Bank Personal Liability Corporate Travel Card or a Purchasing Card that has been approved for travel. We encourage travelers to obtain a US Bank Corporate Travel Card since the cards will also streamline the travel reimbursement process when used in conjunction with the Automated Travel System (ATS) that will be rolled out to campus later this year. ATS allows for online entry of travel expenses by the traveler and automated import of Travel Card expenditures from the bank. This will result in faster processing of the Travel Expense Reports and direct payment to US Bank for all approved travel-related expenses. Please review information about the Travel Card posted on the Accounting Services Travel Storefront web site at http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/travel/storefront/memos/memo10122005.pdf
Thank you for your cooperation as we work together to improve travel related services at UW-Madison.
Vice Chancellor for Administration