Grain farmers can get the latest information on hybrid and variety performance, hear an analysis of last year’s growing season and get updated recommendations for field crop production at Crop Production and Management Meetings to be held in January at eight locations in Wisconsin. The meetings are sponsored by the CALS Department of Agronomy and UW-Extension and will feature presentations by Joe Lauer, UW-Madison/Extension corn specialist; Dan Undersander, UW-Madison/Extension forage agronomist, and Shawn Conley, UW-Madison/Extension Soybean and Small Grains Specialist.Each meeting will cover the same topics, which include:
— Using Bt-CR transgene on the farm. Continuous corn? Or rotate in 2008?
— To spray or not to spray – will foliar fungicides be routine in the new corn production economics.
— Spraying fungicides in soybean.
— Soybean variety selection in the bio-fuels era.
— Alfalfa seeding year stress on future yields.
— RFV v. RFG changes in the spring.
— Selecting grass varieties.
— Management strategies that maximize wheat yield.
The registration fee of $25 per person includes meal and materials. Please pre-register with the local county UW-Extension agriculture agent for the meeting you plan to attend. A $5 “walk-in” fee” will be charged to those who do not pre-register. Additional information packets will be available for $17 each.
Certified Crop Advisor Continuing Education credits have been requested (2.5 hours in Crop Management.)
Meetings will be held on the following schedule:
- Thursday, Jan. 3, Waunakee Rex’s Innkeeper, U.S. Highways 113 and 19 (north one block.) Lunch at noon, meeting at 1 p.m. Contact: David Fisher, 608-224-3716.
- Friday, Jan. 4, Platteville, Park Inn Convention Center, 300 U.S. Highway 151. Breakfast at 7:30 a.m., meeting at 8 a.m. Contact: Ted Bay, 608-723-2125.
- Friday, Jan. 4, Janesville, Milwaukee Grill (formerly the Cornerstone Restaurant). Lunch at noon, meeting at 1 p.m. Contact: Jim Stute, 608-757-5696.
- Monday, Jan. 7, Sparta, American Legion, U.S. Highway 21 (NE side of town.) Lunch at noon, meeting at 1 p.m. Contact: Bill Halfman, 608-269-8722.
- Tuesday, Jan 8, Eau Claire, Holiday Inn, campus area. Breakfast at 7:30 a.m., meeting at 8 a.m. Contact: Mahlon Peterson, 715-839-4712.
- Tuesday, Jan. 8, Wausau, Best Western/Midway Motor Lodge, 2901 Martin Avenue. Lunch at noon, meeting at 1 p.m. Contact: Mike Wildeck, 715-261-1231.
- Wednesday, Jan. 9, Kimberly, Liberty Hall, U.S. Highway 441, College Avenue Exit, east one block, 800 Eisenhower Drive. Breakfast at 7:30 a.m. meeting at 8 a.m. Contact: Kevin Jarek, 920-832-5121.
- Wednesday, Jan. 9, Fond du Lac, Fond du Lac, UW-Fond du Lac, Rm 114 University Center. Lunch at noon, meeting at 1 p.m. Contact: Mike Rankin, 920-929-3171.
For more info contact Joe Lauer, 608-263-7438 or email@example.comThis entry was posted in Extension and Outreach by jsindelar. Bookmark the permalink.