New I-9 Form as of November 2007

On 7 November 2007 U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released a new form I-9 for Employment Eligibility Verification. The form itself is the same as the old form, but they have modified the list of acceptable documents by deleting those which are no longer acceptable. Employers may only accept those documents which are listed on the 2007 version of the form I-9.USCIS is encouraging employers to begin using the new form immediately. Upon publication of a notice in the Federal Register, it will be mandatory to use the new form. Using the old one after publication of the Federal Register notice will subject employers to fines and sanctions. Therefore, it is recommend that everyone on campus begin using the new form immediately.

The I-9 can be found at: http://www.uscis.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/form/I-9.pdf . The list of documents must be photocopied on the back of the form I-9; it cannot be a separate sheet. We suggest you complete your name, title and address (full street address, not just the building address) in Section 2 before photocopying the form.

Although the form is now available in Spanish, only employers in Puerto Rico may complete the Spanish version of the I-9. We can use the Spanish version as a translation guide for Spanish speaking employees, but the English version must be completed and retained.

The new I-9 only needs to be completed for new employees. We are not required to complete new forms for current employees.

This entry was posted in Business Services & Payroll by jsindelar. Bookmark the permalink.