Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad and Faculty Research Abroad grants

Anyone interested in applying to the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad or the Faculty Research Abroad grant programs should start watching the web sites for posting of new grants materials (www. for the DDRA; for the FRA).

This is the first time in many years that they are hoping to have materials available in August for an early October national deadline. This means that the campus deadline will likely be in September (or roughly 10 days before the national deadline). As in previous years, use the application materials and instructions from last year as a guide until the new materials are published.

GRAD STUDENTS: this is an entirely electronic submission system, except for graduate transcripts. Hand in a hard copy of your application and grad transcripts to my office (you do not have to include copies of letters of recommendation). All letters of recommendation MUST be submitted electronically, I cannot mail in hard copies. You can look at examples of successful proposals from past competitions in 250 Bascom Hall.

FACULTY: this is an entirely electronic submission system. You also need to check with your department and the Grad School about how to cover fringe expenses, should you be offered an award. The FRA does not cover fringes. The terms of the Fulbright-Hays Fellowship maintenance stipend is based on your “annual academic year salary at time of application (excluding summer salary, anticipated increases or benefits)”–p. C2 in application instructions. So it is the equivalent of your salary for a 9 month period, and does not provide any funds to cover the costs of fringe benefits (e.g., health and life insurance, retirement, etc.). In order to cover the equivalent fringe benefits (approximately 31 percent) during the period of your grant, you should apply to the Graduate School Research Committee for research support. For more information, please contact Jim Knickmeyer (262-5801) or Steve Schwoegler (262-8386).