Ann Bourque named CALS budget and finance director

Ann Bourque assumed the position of Budget and Finance Director in CALS Business Services in September 2023. In this restructured role, Ann oversees budget development and management, business services, and data management and reporting; working closely with department and center managers and financial staff across the campus. She is also involved with the conversion of financial systems to the new Workday software. This role was created after restructuring CALS Business Services’ positions, including moving post-award activity to CALS Research Division from Business Services. Earlier this year Sandy Fowler took on the assistant dean of research role in the Research Division where she directs pre- and post-award duties. Bourque reports to Angie Seitler, the college’s associate dean for finance and administration.

What is your educational and professional background?
My undergraduate work was in economics, political science and accounting and my MA was in Public Policy and Administration with a certificate in Information Systems Management. I am also a CPA and a certified project manager (PMP). I have held several positions in budget and policy analysis (including the Wisconsin State Budget Office and the Madison Budget Office), project management for financial and administrative processes, and systems and financial management for the state IT division. 

What attracted you to this position?
The position presents an interesting opportunity to impact the financial processes and systems as the college, campus and UW System undergo substantial change and I like the challenge. I’ve also enjoyed working with CALS staff.

What are you most looking forward to in this role?
I look forward to working with CALS financial staff to assess what we currently do and determine how we can best support the college in the changing environment.

What is your hometown? Where did you grow up?
I’m from and grew up in Northeast Minneapolis/St. Anthony Village, Minnesota (a first ring suburb).

What are your hobbies and other interests?
I love to spend time outdoors.  My current activities include hiking, road biking and cross-country skiing. I enjoy traveling and usually plan my trips rather than join a tour. This has included sailing with friends in other countries. I try to find time to play the piano, especially since my aunt gave me her 1911 Steinway. In addition, I volunteer for a few organizations and have been one of the long-time volunteers at the Overture Center and its predecessor, the Madison Civic Center. 

You can contact Bourque via e-mail or Teams chat at ann.bourque@wisc.edu.