Registration open: UW to host Global Conference on Sandy Soils – Jun. 4-8
Sandy soils cover approximately 900 million hectares worldwide, particularly in arid or semi-arid regions. There are extensive areas of sandy soils under cultivation, but the soil fertility is often low. Sandy soils — as a group of soils — have received limited research attention. With increasing global pressure on land resources, marginal soils such as sandy soils are taken into production or cultivated more intensely. There is a need to quantify and understand the properties of sandy soils. This conference will bring together experts on sandy soils from across the world.
Abstract submission deadline: Mar. 31, 2023 (submit here)
Registration deadline: Apr. 15, 2023 (submit here)
- Sunday, Jun. 4: Welcoming reception at Dejope Hall, 5:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. (DeJope Hall)
- Monday, Jun. 5: Symposium day, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Jun. 6: Field trip
- Wednesday, Jun. 7: Symposium day, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; Conference dinner at Memorial Union, 6:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Jun. 8: Symposium day, 8:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Conference Format and Topics
The conference format will be symposia with several keynotes followed by 5-10 minutes presentations and ample time for discussions. Conference topics include:
- Sandy soils – distribution and formation
- Monitoring, mapping, and sensors
- Sandy soils and salinity
- Soil water repellency, crust, and compaction
- Sandy soils under forestry
- Carbon & Nutrient management, soil health
- Soil water conservation and groundwater
- Environmental conservation
Registration fee is $450 (including book of abstracts, morning coffee, lunches and afternoon drinks). Attending the fieldtrip costs $75 and the conference dinner is also $75. The dinner will be held at the Memorial Union, and includes dancing (not mandatory).
Hotels and accommodation
Dorms of DeJope Hall at UW Madison will be available at $44 per night (double), and $68 per night (single). The Madison Concourse Hotel is reserved a $164 single/double per night plus tax. Deadline for reservations: May 3, 2023. Please call (800) 356-8293 and refer to the Global Conference on Sandy Soils room block, or reserve at https://reservations.travelclick.com/6388?groupID=2613505