Curt Lauderdale named assistant dean for student advising and development

Curt Lauderdale joined the UW–Madison CALS staff in January 2022 as the assistant dean for student advising and development in Academic Affairs. In this role, Lauderdale will focus on strengthening the partnerships between academic advising and career advising while also supporting major events like orientation and engagement opportunities such as student clubs and organizations. He reports to Karen Wassarman, associate dean for academic affairs.

What is your hometown? Where did you grow up?

My hometown is Elkhorn, WI. While I have spent a few years living outside of Wisconsin and have been fortunate to be able to do some traveling, Wisconsin is most certainly home for me.

What is your educational/professional background, including your area of specialization?

I have a bachelor of arts in government from Lawrence University in Appleton, WI and a master of arts in education and human development from George Washington University in Washington, DC. I spent the past 20 years working in student affairs and student services, most recently serving as dean of students at Lawrence University.

What are your main responsibilities? 

I am responsible for career and academic advising by leading a college level team, partnering with departments across the college and collaborating across campus. I will also be working with student services, such as student organizations and student leadership initiatives, and student facing events, including commencement and SOAR.

What attracted you to this position/the college?

I was attracted to the focus on developing thoughtful partnerships that will foster a supportive environment while also having the opportunity to create or enhance opportunities for intellectual, personal and professional development for all students. Being able to find and develop these opportunities within a team environment like in Academic Affairs is an added bonus.

What are you most looking forward to as you start your position in CALS?

I am really looking forward to getting to meet the members of the college community and our partners throughout the campus. In just these initial weeks on the job, it is clear to me that the college is full of dedicated staff who are working hard to create and sustain an outstanding educational and developmental experience for our CALS students.

What are your hobbies and other interests?

I have a dog named Tilly (she is moderately trained, but is pretty sweet, which makes up for the parts of training that didn’t stick) who likes to be outside as much as possible, and I like to read. I also have some family in area who I like to spend time with.

How should people contact you?

Email is the best bet at curtis.lauderdale@wisc.edu, or you can call at (608) 262-4618. Or stop by the office in room 116 if you’re in Ag Hall!