Walnut Street Greenhouses updates: Rate increase reminder, incoming manager named

The following message was recently shared by ARS director Mike Peters: 

Dear Greenhouse Users,

I wanted to send a quick note and provide an update to everyone about happenings at the Walnut Street Greenhouses and their associated facilities.

First, I would like to provide a quick reminder that in 2019 the CALS ARS Committee reviewed and approved a two-step rate increase for space in the houses.  The first step in this increase took effect last year.  The second 10% rate increase is set to take effect with the beginning of the new fiscal year (July 1, 2021).  The new rates can be viewed on the Greenhouse website https://greenhouses.ars.wisc.edu/facility-information/.  These added revenues will allow the greenhouses to plan for and purchase lighting updates, maintain spaces, and be able to strategically update the greenhouse spaces to meet emerging technologies.   Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns with the rates.

Second, I would like to announce that we have offered the Greenhouse Manager position (formerly filled by Lynn Hummel) to Mr. Ben Erdman.  Ben is scheduled to start with the facility on July 12th.  Please be on the lookout for more announcements about this hire and please help me in welcoming Ben when he arrives.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns with the Greenhouses or any of our Research Station operations please feel free to reach out to me.  Best of luck to all of you with the remainder of the 2021 Growing Season.  The recent rains have certainly lessened my anxiety.

Sincerely,
Mike Peters