The CALS curriculum committee invites applications for courses to be considered for the approved course-list that fulfills the CALS International Studies requirement (to be effective for summer 2020 and beyond). The criteria for the CALS International Studies requirement have been revised; for courses to fulfill the CALS requirement, they must meet all criteria and address the stated learning outcomes as listed below.
Criteria for courses to satisfy the CALS International Studies requirement (all criteria are required):
- Be connected to one or more of the CALS Priority Themes
- Include substantial international comparative content
- Include substantial non-U.S. content (typically >50% of the content or assignments or grade in the course)
- Facilitate active student engagement consistent with the learning outcomes and university assessment criteria
- Fulfill 3 credits (either by a single course or a pair of courses)
Learning Outcomes for courses to satisfy the CALS International Studies requirement:
- Identify and explain, to diverse audiences, global issues pertaining to one or more CALS Priority Themes
- Demonstrate critical thinking and comparative perspectives with respect to experiences or cultural approaches to international challenges
Applications are due by September 23, 2019, and must be submitted through the application process, which is now open and available at: https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cZRDcW3peVB2z4x
Applications will require course information, a sample syllabus, and explanation of how the course meets the criteria and learning outcomes to fulfill the CALS International Studies requirement. The application process also includes follow-up with department chairs to confirm a continuing commitment to maintain required elements even with any changes in instructor(s). Courses will be reviewed by the CALS Curriculum Committee; review will be based on the fit to the stated requirements.
Questions should be directed to Megan Ackerman-Yost at email@example.com or (608) 265-5436.