The 2018 W-2 Forms (Wage and Tax Statements) are now available online. Employees who did not elect ‘electronic consent only’ by January 11, 2019 will also receive a paper copy of the W-2 mailed to them via U.S. mail by January 31, 2019.
View and Print the 2018 W-2-Form: View/print 2018 W-2 Form
- To access your W-2 Form online, you must be connected to a University of Wisconsin network either directly or through VPN.
- Log into the portal for UW System institutions or for UW-Madison.
- On the Payroll Information tile click the Tax Statements button.
- On the Tax Statements page, click the red View 2018 W-2 button.
- Before accessing your W-2 Form, you will be required to:
- Enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number
- Enter your date of birth
- Check the ‘I agree’ box and click SAVE
- Click the Next button in the upper right corner. The next button will not appear until the information you have entered is verified by the system.
Note: Your 2018 W-2 Form includes your Social Security number. Use caution when printing your W-2 in a ‘public’ environment. Do not send your W-2 Form via email. Once you have viewed/printed your W-2, close your browser before exiting the page.
IMPORTANT: If the values you enter in the identify fields do not match those found in the HR system, you will receive an error message. Please contact your HR/Payroll office to validate these fields. You will have three attempts before a 1 hour lockout occurs, and your page is disabled. After 6 unsuccessful attempts, you will be hard-locked out of the system, and you will need to contact your IT helpdesk for assistance.
Availability of Other Tax Forms (1095-C, 1042-S, Fellowship/Scholarship Letter)
Some employees will also receive additional tax forms from the University (1095-C, 1042-S, Fellowship/Scholarship Letter). The 1095-C Form will be available online in late January. Employees who did not elect ‘electronic consent only’ by January 11, 2019 will also receive a paper copy of the 1095-C Form mailed to them via U.S. mail by January 31, 2019.
The 1042-S Forms will be available online in the MyUW portal in March. Employees who have chosen electronic delivery through the Glacier System may have access to their forms earlier; others will have them mailed to their home address. The Fellowship Letter is typically available in February.
Filing Your Taxes
Employees should use their W-2 Form, not their final 2018 earnings statement, to file taxes. Some employees have had adjustments made to their 2018 taxable earnings since the last 2018 payroll was paid. These employees may have an additional earnings statement generated reflecting these adjustments. These adjustments will already be reflected on the W-2 Form that the employee receives.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will begin accepting returns on January 29, 2019 for the 2018 tax filing season. Employees may want to consider filing their return as soon as all tax forms are received to minimize the chance of a fraudulent return being processed using their Social Security number, or Individual Tax Payer Identification number. More information is available on the IRS website.
- Explanation of the W-2 Wage and Tax Statement
- Comparison of the Year-end Earnings Statement to Form W2
If you have questions, contact your Payroll office.