Are you an international TA? Do you work with international TAs? The Program in English as a Second Language offers the following valuable resources and support services for international TAs:
- Free three-part service that includes classroom visits by an expert observer; private, confidential analysis including strategies for improvement; and individualized follow-up.
- ESL 370, International Teaching Assistant Training Program, to help non-native English speaking TAs (or potential TAs) to improve their oral communication and classroom teaching skills. The 2016 class will occur June 13 – August 5. The course carries no credits or fees but enroll through the Student Center. The program focuses on three areas essential to good teaching:
- Pronunciation and Communication Skills: Language practice to make classroom speech more clear and effective.
- Presentation Skills: Recorded teaching presentations, tutorials and peer feedback.
- Cultural Background: Discussion of the TA’s role, undergraduates’ expectations of a TA and the unique aspects of the US educational system.