In light of recent incidents related to equity and inclusion at the University of Missouri, Chancellor Rebecca Blank shared an important message last Friday with the UW-Madison community detailing some of our campus’ efforts to address inequities, as well as resources available to community members who want to learn more or get involved.
The CALS Equity and Diversity Committee, which advises Dean Kate VandenBosch on these issues and is chaired by associate professor of genetics Ahna Skop, is also available as a resource for the CALS community. Committee members are in the midst of planning ways to bring together college faculty, staff and students to discuss ongoing campus climate issues at UW-Madison and other universities across the nation. These opportunities will be shared in a future eCALS post.
In the meantime, a number of UW and CALS resources are available to help interested individuals learn, discuss and get involved:
- To learn more about the university’s Diversity Framework implementation, visit http://diversityframework.wisc.edu/
- To learn more about the UW Office for Equity and Diversity, visit http://oed.wisc.edu/
- For information about activities and resources to support diversity on campus, visit https://diversity.wisc.edu/
- CALS’ underrepresented students are encouraged to get plugged into student organizations and research opportunities, listed here: http://go.wisc.edu/cals_diversity_programs
- CALS’ underrepresented students – and others concerned about these issues – are welcome to visit with Tom Browne, CALS assistant dean for minority affairs. To set a meeting, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read about a recent UW-Madison event to raise awareness about race issues at http://news.wisc.edu/24181
- To report an incident of hate or bias, visit http://go.wisc.edu/reporting