You’re invited to a series of special fall events hosted by the Office of the Vice Provost and Chief Diversity Officer. Please mark your calendars and register today for the following events:
In partnership with the Madison Chapter of 100 Black Men, we will again host the 4th annual autumn reception “Mentoring, Mingling, and Mama’s Treats” on Thursday evening, Sept. 11, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the East Atrium and Plenary Room of Grainger Hall. The reception is an opportunity for us to connect, fellowship, and forge new relationships while sharing food, tips and resources to make this year one to remember. Our goal is multi-faceted. We want to teach our students that a major part of success in life is having a network of supportive friends, colleagues and mentors, while expanding our own network to create an atmosphere where support, mentoring, and life-long friendships can thrive both on and off campus.
Register today at http://go.wisc.edu/73vup1
On Friday, Sept. 12, we will partner with the Memorial Union kick off its annual World
Music Festival with the Diversity Leaders World Music Festival Reception from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., in the Main Lounge, 2nd Floor, Memorial Union. Join us in celebrating our work toward making the UW-Madison a world-class institution preparing students for global success and the opening of the World Music Festival. Grab a colleague or friend for hors d’oeuvres, conversation and enjoyable music!
Sign up today at: http://go.wisc.edu/4311f9
Finally, hold Wednesday, October 1, to celebrate this year’s Outstanding Women of Color. Nominated by their peers in the campus community, this year’s honorees include:
- Shawnika Hull, Assistant Professor, School of Journalism and Mass Communication; Center for Demography and Ecology, Department of Population Health Sciences.
- Lillian Tong, Faculty Associate, WISCIENCE (formerly Institute for Biology Education); director of the University Educators Programs and Services; director of faculty/staff programs.
- Angela Byars-Winston, Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine and Public Health.
- Marla Delgado-Guerrero, Ph.D. candidate, Department of Counseling Psychology, School of Education.
- Michelle Robinson, Ph.D. candidate, Department of Sociology, College of Letters & Science.
- Eva Vivian, Associate Professor (CHS), School of Pharmacy.
- Ruttanatip (Dang) Chonwerawong, Assistant Dean, Student Diversity Programs, School of Education.
- Carla Pugh, Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine and Public Health.
Now in the seventh year, the UW-Madison Outstanding Women of Color Awards were established in order to recognize the outstanding accomplishments and contributions of women of color on campus. The selection committee has also named Tong and Hull as the UW-Madison honorees for the UW System 19th Annual Awards to Outstanding Women of Color in Education.
Register to join us in celebrating these women today at:
SAVE the DATE, too, for the Annual Diversity Forum to be held this year on Nov. 10-11. Featuring two days of renowned speakers, including Rebecca Ryan and Peter Aranda, don’t-miss breakout sessions and networking, we’ll be celebrating our military veterans on Veteran’s Day, Nov. 11.
WATCH for more information as well on this year’s Multicultural Homecoming Celebration the weekend of Oct. 24-26.
Welcome to fall 2014, Go Badgers Go!
Patrick J. Sims
Interim Vice Provost & Chief Diversity Officer
Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement
University of Wisconsin-Madison