New faculty profile: Brian Luck, agricultural machinery and precision ag specialist

Brian Luck

Brian Luck joined CALS on Jan. 1 as an assistant professor in the Department of Biological Systems Engineering and a UW-Extension precision agriculture specialist.

Briefly describe your career path—up to this point.
Both my undergraduate and M.S. degrees were completed at the University of Kentucky in the Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering (BAE) Department where I specialized in the area of machine systems automation. My undergraduate and graduate research focused primarily on developing agricultural sprayer technology that provided variable rate application capability while reducing application errors. While pursuing my M.S. degree I accepted an engineer associate position within the BAE Department as manager and lead engineer for a bulk food transport security system development project. I completed both my M.S. work and bulk food security project in December of 2009. I then relocated to pursue my Ph.D. at Mississippi State University in the Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department. My research focused on characterizing air velocity distribution within commercial broiler production facilities.

What is the main focus of your research program?
My extension program and research will be directed toward agricultural machinery and precision agriculture issues. Machine management, variable rate technology, agricultural “big data” management, and remote sensing are some of my specific areas of interest. My applied research program will be developed based on the needs of stakeholders within the state.

What drew you to UW-Madison?
When I made the decision to complete my terminating degree my goal was to obtain a faculty position with an extension/research split focusing on machine systems and precision agriculture. My pursuit of this goal led me to UW-Madison. While gathering information about the state and the university, I found that Wisconsin has very diverse agriculture production within the state and one of the best extension programs in the country. I am excited to work with faculty, students, county agents and stakeholders to solve precision agriculture and machinery related issues.

What do you like to do outside of work?
In my free time I enjoy being outdoors (camping, fishing, etc). One thing I am looking forward to trying in Wisconsin is snowmobiling.

This entry was posted in Food Systems, People and Departments and tagged by vanzoeren@wisc.edu. Bookmark the permalink.