Shawn Conley, a CALS and UW-Extension agronomist, can now add “children’s book author” to his CV. The book, titled Coolbean the Soybean, features the adventures of a friendly, mowhawked soybean named Coolbean as he learns about agriculture. It was recently published by the American Society of Agronomy (ASA) with support from the Wisconsin Soybean Marketing Board.

In this ASA press release, Conley explained his motivation for writing the book:

“I wanted to develop a fun, yet educational, tool to help teach today’s youth about where food comes from, career opportunities in agriculture, and explain why soybeans are so important, not only here in the US, but around  the world,” says Conley. “My daughters were the main reason for writing this book, but I also remember being inspired at an early age by my first and second grade teacher, Mrs. Swiggum. Hopefully this book can help inspire the next generation of agricultural scientists.”

To purchase a copy of the book, visit the Society Store.

This entry was posted in Around CALS by vanzoeren@wisc.edu. Bookmark the permalink.