Changing student demographic draws attention to CALS

The typical undergraduate at CALS has changed quite a bit over the past decade, where undergrad enrollment is at an all time high and growing. Today, she looks a lot like food science student Cheyenne Lentz: female, non-rural and without direct ties to agricultural production.

This shift in student demographics drew the interest of the television production firm Discover Mediaworks, producers of Discover Wisconsin. They recorded interviews with Lentz and Dean Kate VandenBosch last week for a 90 second television spots to be aired statewide in February.

It was Lentz’s interest in food and cooking that caused her to enroll in food science. Now in her third semester of school, she’s starting to learn about agriculture through student organizations and other associations. “I was originally interested in being a chef someday and so I randomly picked food science on the web site. I was introduced to this new world of agriculture, and I’ve kind of learned a lot about the behind-the-scenes part of the production of food,” Lentz says.

You can learn more about Lentz’ interests and experience at CALS in this three-minute audio podcast, produced by CALS’ Sevie Kenyon.

Cheyenne Lentz interviewed for TV

This entry was posted in Around CALS by . Bookmark the permalink.