New faculty profile: Shinya Ikeda

Shinya Ikeda joined the faculty in the Department of Food Science as an assistant professor this past summer.

Describe your career path—up to this point.
I completed my Ph.D. in 1998, did post-doc at North Carolina State University and the University of Tennessee, worked for a food ingredient company in San Diego, CA and also was a tenured faculty of two universities in Japan before joining UW.

What is the main focus of your research program?
I use scanning scope microscopy to study structures of individual molecules and supra-molecular assemblies of proteins, carbohydrate polymers and their complexes formed at interfaces and in bulk phases in foods. These structures play key roles in the determination of the effective activity and mass-transportation properties of food components such as nutrients, flavor/taste compounds, bioactives and anti-microbials in foods, as well as flow, deformation and breakdown properties of foods as a whole.

What drew you to UW-Madison?
Wisconsin is America’s dairyland. UW is such an internationally renowned research university. I thought that this would be the place where I could make the best use of my skills and experiences.

This entry was posted in People and Departments and tagged by vanzoeren@wisc.edu. Bookmark the permalink.