Dean Tracy: Report on UW admissions discrimination is “misleading and unfounded”

Interim Dean Bill Tracy sent the following message to CALS students regarding last week’s release of a report by the Center for Equal Opportunity:

CALS students,

I am writing to you in my role as interim dean of CALS to respond to attacks on members of our community by Mr. Roger Clegg of the Center for Equal Opportunity.  The center released a report that charges that UW-Madison discriminates against applicants on the basis of race.  This conclusion is misleading and unfounded. UW-Madison uses a system based on a holistic, selective, competitive process that includes many factors to determine who is admitted.  Most importantly, UW-Madison only admits students who have demonstrated the ability to succeed at Madison.  On Tuesday evening, along with over 800 other members of our community, I had the opportunity to witness a debate between Mr. Clegg and Professor Church of our law school.   I was deeply offended that Mr. Clegg chose to make his argument with comments that were demeaning and derogatory to members of our student body. Every one of you who has been admitted to UW-Madison has worked hard to get here and you all deserve to be here.

As scholars, I urge you to be on guard for the misuse of statistics for political gain. As Badgers I know you will continue to respect and support all the members of our community.

On Wisconsin!

William F. Tracy
Interim Dean, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences

Here is a link to Chancellor Ward’s statement

This entry was posted in Highlights by . Bookmark the permalink.