UW-Madison has always been a place where ideas and discussions are welcomed and nurtured. “Fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found,” wrote the Board of Regents in 1894.
An inaugural event in that tradition of new ideas will take place June 7-8 at Union South. “The Big Learning Event: Powerful Conversations for the Future” will bring together some of the country’s brightest minds from disparate disciplines for conversation and listening.
By harnessing the collective ideas of speakers and attendees, we’ll create cross-disciplinary conversations. The goal is to develop game-changing ideas for the future by asking interesting questions and making connections with people who are completely different from you.
Those who register will be invited to start the conversation early in study groups that will take place during the spring semester. After benefiting from this learning environment, attendees can take best practices learned, new ideas discovered and forward ways of thinking back to their corners of campus. From grant writing to streamlining meeting productivity, attendees can approach big and small challenges with a renewed optimism and creativity.
BLE can help you:
• Bring cutting-edge ideas to your department
• Identify new, multi-center grant opportunities
• Network with colleagues from other disciplines
• Nurture new partnerships and collaborations
• Develop strategic plans for the future
• Keep abreast of new ideas and innovations
• We all need a network of people to help us develop new ideas. These new ideas can emerge by making connections with people outside our usual groups.
• Small, incremental thinking has its place, but the BLE is designed to help us think big.
• BLE will engage faculty, staff, students and other participants in a vibrant, academically driven experience.
• BLE is a collaborative, cross-disciplinary opportunity for discussions and learning.
• BLE follows the tradition of the Wisconsin Idea. For more than 150 years, the university has been a leader in innovation and intellectual collaboration that has led to big ideas from which we have all benefited.