For the second year, a coalition of groups called Partnering for Progress is holding an old-fashioned barn dance on a historic, working dairy farm to celebrate the harvest, farmers and working lands and our rural heritage, and recognize the need to conserve the state’s natural resources for everyone’s benefit. The event will raise vital funds to support efforts to improve rural life.
The fun happens on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2010, 5–10 p.m. at the Saxon Homestead Farm, 15621 South Union Road, Cleveland, Wis.
Sponsors include Gathering Waters Conservancy, the Council of Rural Initiatives, Lakeshore Natural Resource Partnership and CALS own Wisconsin School for Beginning Dairy and Livestock Farmers.
Everyone is welcome, but capacity is limited, so buy tickets early!
- Held in a restored, 160-year-old barn on Saxon Homestead Farm, a fifth generation, grass-based, family dairy farm that crafts its milk into artisanal cheeses.
- Music by the King Comets—a lively, swing band.
- A scrumptious, locally grown, harvest appetizer buffet including some of Wisconsin’s finest artisanal cheeses and a refreshment bar with Wisconsin microbrews, wine and cider.
- Special guest Jerry Apps, Wisconsin author, storyteller and historian, will read briefly from his book “Barns of Wisconsin”.
- Wisconsin Rural Art Show and Sale featuring the work of Water’s Edge Artists and award-winning painter Bonnita Budysz, who spearheaded the exhibit “Farm Stories: Studies of a Disappearing Landscape,” which won an award of excellence for its historical significance.
- Meet Wisconsin artists and authors, purchase their work and have them sign it.
- Door prizes, displays, conversation, beautiful scenery and fun on the farm!
Ticket sales benefit all four organizations and are 100-percent tax deductible. Order your tickets soon. Go here to download an event flyer to post or share with others. The flyer contains a ticket order form plus maps, a list of area lodging and attractions, and other informaiton. Questions? Contact Jim Kettler at 920-304-1919 or firstname.lastname@example.org.