Expect plenty of traffic cones and barriers and detour signs this summer. In addition to short- and long-term road and sidewalk closures at various building projects, both the city and university will be working on or under the roads. For more information see the UW Campus-wide Road Closures Summary and the city’s Roadworks Projects update page.
University Avenue reconstruction. See this article on the WISCTV website: University Ave., Broom St. Construction Projects Begin Monday
Campus Utility Work. Traffic patterns will be altered on several campus-area streets again this summer as the final phase of the East Campus Utility Project begins on Monday, May 17. The work is expected to continue through mid-August. Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians should be aware of the following closures and detours:
- Observatory Drive from North Park Street to Lot 11 at Bascom Hall will be closed due to an underground utility project and reconstruction of a portion of the roadway at the curve.
- North Park Street between University Avenue and West Johnson Street will be closed in both directions, with the exception of deliveries to the Vilas and Grainger loading docks from Johnson Street.
- Langdon Street will be one-way westbound between North Lake and North Park streets. Vehicle access to Lot 1 at Memorial Union and the Helen C. White ramp will be maintained throughout the construction period.
- North Park from Langdon to University Avenue will be one-way southbound.
- The Route 80 campus buses will travel West Johnson Street to Lake Street, Lake to Langdon, and Langdon to North Park Street. They will pick up passengers at the Route 85 stop in front of Memorial Union.
- Both the 80 and 85 buses will head south on Park to University Avenue, take University west to North Charter, turn right onto Charter, then left on Linden Drive. Riders can catch either bus at the University Avenue stops at Park and Mills streets.
- The 85 will take Linden Drive to Babcock, Babcock to Observatory, and then turn right. It will stop at the intersection with Charter Street and resume its regular recess route. Recess service will begin on both campus bus routes Sunday, May 16.
- The Memorial Union will be open throughout the construction period, but construction will limit the number of parking spaces in Lot 1 between the Union and the Red Gym, and in Lot 6 under Helen C. White. For more information on campus visitor parking, go to www2.fpm.wisc.edu/trans/info_visitor.asp.