Funding is available from UW-Madison Area and International Studies Programs for Summer Intensive Language Study (2009) and Academic Year Language/Area Studies (2009-10). The application deadline is February 16.
Foreign Language and Area Studies graduate fellowships are funded by the U.S. Department of Education to encourage area and international studies and to stimulate foreign language acquisition and fluency.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- FLAS awards may be used for either a domestic or overseas academic program of study. Language training taken outside of the U.S. must be at an advanced level and requires special approval.
- FLAS recipients must be full-time graduate students.
- Academic Year FLAS recipients who are not dissertators must take at least one area studies course and one language course each semester.
- Summer awards can be used for intensive language study in programs that last for at least 6 weeks and provide the equivalent of a full academic year of language study.
- Applications from students in professional fields are encouraged.
- Fellowships cover the cost of tuition and provide a stipend.
Eligible African languages include Arabic, Twi, Swahili, Yoruba and Zulu
For more information about FLAS through the African Studies Programs visit: