The 2009-2010 U.S. Fulbright Scholar application cycle has just opened, and we are excited to be featuring many awards in Sub-Saharan Africa and Europe for scholars in the field of agriculture. We encourage you to share the information below with your colleagues in order to take advantage of these scholar exchange opportunities.
Seven countries– Benin, Botswana, Guinea, Hungary, Mozambique, Rwanda and Zambia– have an award specifically for teaching courses and conducting research related to agriculture. Specializations requested range from agronomy to forestry to agricultural economics and include other farm management areas. Many other African and European countries have an “All Disciplines” award, for which applications are accepted in any area of study that is taught at a participating host institution. Likewise, South Africa has a broad “Science and Technology” award that encompasses agriculture. We welcome you to download and distribute the attached flyer, which provides details of the awards
Awards are available for lecturing, research, or a combination of both. For specific award information and to apply please visit http://www.cies.org/us_scholars/us_awards/.
We encourage you to contact us regarding interest and questions about applying for awards in Africa and Europe:
- Debra Egan, Assistant Director; firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-686-6230
- Matthew Fortier, Program Associate; email@example.com, 202-686-4027
- Kelly Makowiecki, Program Officer (for Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania); firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-686-6254
Europe, East and North-
- Muriel Joffe, Assistant Director, email@example.com, 202-686-6249
- Kevin Orchison, Program Associate, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-686-7852
Complete application materials are due at the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) by August 1, 2008. Please note that U.S. citizenship and a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree are required.
Matthew J. Fortier
Program Associate, Sub-Saharan Africa
Council for International Exchange of Scholars