Register now for the 2008 Teaching & Learning Symposium. The symposium takes place on May 21-22 at the Pyle Center, with post-symposium workshops offered on May 22-23 at the Pyle Center and other campus locations. To view the schedule and to register online, go to www.learning.wisc.edu/tlsymposium. The registration deadline is May 13.
The annual Teaching & Learning Symposium brings together all of us — faculty, staff, post-docs, and graduate students—who teach and support learning in order to share best practices, celebrate accomplishments, discuss new teaching pedagogy, and explore themes of mutual interest. The symposium is a free campus event that improves teaching and learning at UW-Madison.
This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Teaching & Learning Symposium, and this year’s theme celebrates that milestone: “Shaping our Future: Teaching and Learning at UW-Madison.” We will explore both what is enduring about teaching and learning at UW-Madison, and what has dramatically changed.
Issues to be discussed are the lasting values that frame our teaching, changes in what represents pedagogical innovation (and what the future might bring), revolutionary technological changes, and dramatic ways in which our students have changed, and learn.
We invite you to attend the symposium to explore these and other topics including:
- Innovations in teaching and learning: What we’ve learned about learning, about learners, and how to improve learning for all students
- Teaching yesterday, today, and tomorrow: Changes in teaching practice and looking towards the future
- Enhancing teaching and learning through technology
- Engaging our “wired” students and helping them develop the skills, knowledge and experiences needed to be engaged, global citizens for the 21st Century
- Improving classroom climate and engaging diverse learners
- Enhancing and evaluating essential learning outcomes
- Building and sustaining communities to improve learning
We hope these discussions will inspire you to try new teaching strategies, consider new ways of engaging students both in and out of the classroom, and strengthen connections with others across campus.
For additional information, contact Mo Noonan Bischof at 262-5246 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2008 Teaching and Learning Symposium is sponsored by the Teaching and Learning Council, Office of the Provost, the Teaching Academy, DoIT Academic Technology, General Library System, University Health Services, Office of Human Resource Development, University Communications, and Delta, a program of the Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL), and the College of Letters and Science Office of Service Learning and Community Based Research (OSLCBR).