RSP is pleased to announce that the Extramural Support Transmittal Form (the “t-form”) has gone electronic. On February 25, when Program Release is implemented on campus, a new module called WISPER (WISconsin Proposal Electronic Routing) will be available. WISPER allows Principal Investigators (PIs), department chairs and deans to sign the document electronically, eliminating the need for the old paper t-form.
WISPER represents a major change in the way the University collects PI certifications regarding extramural support documents. RSP has worked with Legal Services to determine that logging into WISPER with your UW-Madison NetID and clicking the “I Sign” button is a reasonable replacement for hard copy signatures.
This electronic “signature” will greatly streamline processing and routing of documents around campus. However, it will be the responsibility of PIs to log into the system and “Sign” the documents, just as PIs currently sign the paper forms. It is important that PIs should personally login to complete the first screen rather than giving someone else their NetID. Department chairs will also sign electronically. A few of the benefits of this new system are listed below:
- Existing NetID login and password used so that no additional logins are needed
- Electronic signatures for PI, department chair, and dean’s office facilitate efficient reviews
- Document attachment capabilities are available for all file types
- Electronic routing allows users to see where the document is at any point in time
- Ability to add effort commitment and cost-sharing information
- Easy copying of information from one form to another
- Access by multiple people to review and approve, making campus collaboration easier
- Ability to see contract negotiation information and updates
- Automatic email notification when documents are routed
Training is already underway. Information about the system can be found at http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/WISPER/
Diane Barrett, Assistant Director
Research and Sponsored Programs