Know the right way to sign a contract on behalf of the university

As we start the new academic year, it is a good time to remind you about how to get agreements signed on behalf of the university. The “How To” page at has a decision tree to help you determine how to do this.

Select the type of agreement, complete the appropriate cover sheet, and forward the cover sheet and agreement to the office shown in the web page. Remember that you can not sign agreements for which you do not have authority. Doing so can invalidate the agreement. In addition, if something goes wrong with the agreement, it may be possible that you will not have the protection of the State of Wisconsin to defend your actions.Please contact Paul Jelle, Assistant Dean, CALS Business Services if you have questions by calling 262-1875 or e-mailing him at

We appreciate your compliance with signature authority requirements.