Registration info for spring 2007

This post contains information on:

  • Registration for Spring, 2007
  • Drop deadlines for courses (Nov. 3) and how to get an extension if needed
  • Majors Exploration Fair Oct. 25
  • Leadership Workshops Inservice January19-21, 2007
  • Applying for CALS Scholarships
  • Short-term emergency loans
  • Graduating in December


As a College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) undergraduate you must see your faculty advisor before you register for the Spring, 2007 semester.

  1. You should prepare for the session with your advisor by doing the following:
  2. Run a DARS report through My-UW.
  3. Prepare a list of the courses you plan to take in the Spring semester.
  4. Customize your four-year roadmap and prepare a list of courses that you plan to take in the following Fall and Spring semesters, at least.
  5. Be prepared to talk about your academic and career goals.
  6. Bring items 1-3 and a copy of your curriculum sheet to the meeting with your advisor.

For Spring Semester registration, when you should go for advising depends on your major department. Registration for Spring, 2007 will begin on November 14 for seniors.

If you are in any of the following departments, see your advisor between October 10 and November 14.
Agricultural and Applied Economics (includes agricultural business management major)

  • Biochemistry
  • Biological Systems Engineering
  • Entomology
  • Genetics
  • Soil Science

The Timetable may not be available when you see your advisor, but the Timetable will be available on the web October 27 through My-UW or at ( However, about 85-90% of UW-Madison courses are offered in the same semester/day/hour pattern from one year to the next. Therefore, you can use the Timetable from Spring Semester, 2006 and expect to be 85-90% accurate for Spring, 2007. Talk with your advisor about alternative courses to guard against possible changes to the Timetable schedules.

If you are in one of the following departments, see your advisor between October 26 and November 14. The Timetable will be available through My-UW or on the web ( on October 26, and registration will begin November 14.

  • Animal Sciences (includes poultry science major)
  • AgronomyBacteriology
  • Biology
  • Dairy Science
  • Food Science
  • Forest Ecology and Management
    (includes recreation resource management major)
  • Horticulture
  • Landscape Architecture
  • Life Sciences Communication
    (includes agricultural journalism and agricultural education majors)
  • Nutritional Sciences (includes dietetics major)
  • Plant Pathology
  • Rural Sociology
  • Wildlife Ecology


1. If you need certain Business School Courses
Please see your advisor and submit the CALS Business Course Authorization Request Form to 116 Agriculture Hall by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, November 14 if you need any of the following courses:

Accounting and Information Systems 211 or 301
General Business 300 or 301
Finance 300
Marketing 300
Management and Human Resources 300 or 305

If you need any of these courses, you will have a better chance of successful registration if you turn in the CALS authorization form on time. This form is available in your department, on the web at . You could also try to download the pdf file directly at Or, you can pick up a paper copy in Room 116 Agriculture Hall.

You do not need to complete the CALS authorization form to enroll in Accounting/IS 300. Also, you do not need to complete the form if you have been admitted to the Business Certificate program in the Business School.

2. Conference-type courses:
Conference courses (299,399,699, etc.) require the approval of the instructor and authorization by the department offering the course.

3. Internships (399 courses)
If you are planning to do an Internship Experience, you must pick up an Internship Agreement Form and Information Brochure at the Career Services desk in 116 Agriculture Hall. You should follow the instructions in that booklet in order to set up your internship properly.

4. Students with low GPA:
Completing web registration does NOT guarantee continuation in CALS for students whose semester and cumulative GPA at the end of Fall Semester, 2005 place them in the status of “Must Obtain Permission to Continue” or “Dropped”. A student in this status must take appropriate action, as outlined in the instructions sent with the grade report, in order to be considered for re-admission or continuation. Students who are ineligible to continue may be retroactively withdrawn.

The last day for dropping a course without special dean’s permission is Friday, November 4. Dean’s permission is granted only under very unusual circumstances. If you will not be able to make a decision on dropping a course by November 4 you should see you advisor, prior to November 3, and ask your advisor to request that Academic Student Affairs grant a specific extension of the drop deadline. Otherwise we will assume that you have had ample time to make a decision and we will not extend the deadline except for the most unusual cases and only for circumstances over which you have no control.
Major Exploration Fair: Monday, October 25, 3:30 – 5:30 p.m., Great Hall of Memorial Union
Talk to faculty and students about courses, out of class learning and career opportunities related to majors offered in CALS and also in Letters and Science. The Fair is a great place to learn about many majors at once. Bring your campus ID card.

Leadership Inservice
The 3rd annual CALS Leadership Inservice will be held January 19-21,
2007 at Upham Woods in Wisconsin Dells. All organizations nominate 2
representatives, and we would like to extend the invite to all
students. There are 10 open positions for those interested. The
cost to attend is $15. This event has been extremely rewarding in the
past with very positive feedback. Don’t miss out! Contact Neil
( by November 15th if interested or if you have
questions. Thank you!”

Applying for CALS Scholarships
The 2007-08 Continuing Student Scholarship Application is available on the CALS web page, under Current Student Info, Financing Your Education. Please note that the deadline for application consideration will be February 2, 2007. Be sure to follow the instructions on how to submit your application!

Short-Term Emergency Loans
The College has several emergency loan funds that can provide short-term (six month) interest-free loans for up to $500 to help students bridge periods when they are short of cash. The emergency loan funds are the result of gifts from generous alumni of the College who want to help students. If you have a financial emergency and need help, come to Room 116 Agriculture Hall to meet with one of the CALS deans.

Graduating this Semester
If you plan to graduate this semester, be sure that you indicate this in your MYUW as soon as possible. This will let the office know your intentions and improve the processing of your credentials for graduation.

If you have any questions, of if we can help you in any way, please do not hesitate to give us a call, send an email or stop into the office in Room 116 Agriculture Hall.

Study hard and have fun. –Dean Ray

Robert O. Ray, Ph.D.
Associate Dean and Professor
Undergraduate Programs and Services
116 Agriculture Hall
1450 Linden Drive
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, WI 53706-1522