The Graduate School is soliciting nominations for the 2022 Google PhD Fellowship Competition. Google’s deadline for nominations is Sep 29, 2021.
Please note :
Nominated students in Australia and New Zealand, East Asia, Europe, the United States and Canada Universities should only nominate students that meet the following requirements:
- Full-time graduate students pursuing a PhD and enrolled in an institution in one of the regions listed above.
- Completed graduate coursework by the academic award year when the Fellowship begins.
- Students must remain enrolled full-time in the PhD program for the duration of the Fellowship or forfeit the award.
- Google employees, and their spouses, children, and members of their household are not eligible.
- Students that are already supported by a comparable industry award are not eligible. Government or non-profit organization funding is exempt.
The University is limited to four nominations across all sub-fields of interest to Google:
Canada and the United States: universities may nominate up to four eligible students. If a university chooses to nominate more than two students, then in order to increase opportunities for students who are underrepresented in the field of computing the third and fourth nominees must self-identify as a woman, Black / African descent, Hispanic / Latino / Latinx, Indigenous, and/or a person with a disability.
Due to the shorter turnaround time and the time needed for collecting nominating materials for selected students, we have a very tight deadline. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org the following material from faculty members about candidates (in one single PDF file or a an email message) by noon, Monday, September 20, 2021:
– your name and department
– the name of your candidate and their department
– does the candidate self-identify with one of the underrepresented group mentioned in the FAQ?
– what year the student is in
– will the candidate have completed graduate coursework by the Fall of 2022?
– candidate’s CV
– letter of nomination.
A department may nominate as many candidates as you have. We will strive to make a decision by Sep 24, 2021 and get the nominations done by Sep 29, 2021.
-Parmesh Ramanathan, associate dean, UW–Madison Graduate School